Dangerous driving is a highly serious offence and you will always require a specialist solicitor to represent you. It is classed as being a more serious offence than driving without due care and attention.
The penalty in England for dangerous driving can vary from penalty points (between 3 and 11) and a disqualification from driving for 12 months, followed by a lengthy re-test before the ban is lifted. In addition, you may be given a prison sentence of up to 2 years.
The definition of dangerous driving is:
1. The standard of driving falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver
2. It would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous
Examples of what can constitute dangerous driving are:
- Ignoring road signs or traffic lights
- Weaving between lanes or undertaking
- Racing, driving too fast, or driving aggressively
- Driving whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Overtaking dangerously
- Knowing the vehicle has a dangerous fault or unsafe load
- Motorbike wheelies
- Using a mobile phone whilst driving
In any prosecution for dangerous driving the Courts will look at the circumstances of the incident and also take into account both aggravating and mitigating circumstances. It is critical to have proper legal representation for this type of offence.
Death by Dangerous Driving
Death by dangerous driving is a separate and more serious offence that you may be charged with if you have been involved in an accident where someone has lost their life. In addition to the penalties for dangerous driving, this offence also carries a prison sentence of between 2 and 14 years.
If you are arrested or charged with dangerous driving please contact us at your earliest opportunity. This is a very serious offence and you will require specialist legal representation.
Legal Advice and assistance in a Police Station is free of charge. We recommend that you say nothing to the Police until you have spoken directly with us.
We have a 24-hour emergency advice line so that we can respond immediately to your situation. Our 24 hour number is 07850 012 366.